Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sizzle Sizzle

I bought a curling iron the other day at Target. I haven't purchased a curling iron in at least 10 years. At least I hope it has been that long. Anyways, as I was taking stuff out of my buggy to put on the belt to be rung up, I felt this overwhelming need to explain to the person scanning my stuff why I was buying a curling iron. I didn't do it of course because who wants to hear it? Does she care that I am buying a curling iron because the 7 and 9 year olds at my house have decided that this weekend we are having a "Pretty Girl Beauty Pageant" and therefore MUST have a curling iron so that we can curl our hair? Or more specifically so that the 9 year old and I can curl our hair because the 7 year old has been blessed with naturally curly hair? Oh yes, I will be in it too. The better question is did she even notice that she was scanning a curling iron? I am always a little paranoid that the person scanning my items is silently judging me based on the things that I am buying. For instance, are they thinking that I don't really need a bag of the Cadbury Mini Eggs although they only come out once a year and are heaven wrapped in little candy shells? Would they have been more understanding of my curling iron purchase if they had the beauty pageant info? I kept my mouth shut though because I didn't want to be the crazy lady that talks to the cashier and it becomes painfully obvious that she doesn't get any other meaningful connection in her life and must therefore converse with anyone that stands still long enough for her to catch. As I was walking out of Target, a memory flashed in my head of me at the age of perhaps 12. I would take the curling iron to my bangs, yes bangs, and before I rolled my hair around the barrel of the curling iron, I would spray it profusely with hairspray so that as it hit the curling iron, it would sizzle. It is amazing I still have hair.

1 comment:

Kendra said...

it's amazing we all have hair after our early teenage years and curling iron escapades!!

See what's next...

That's what my title means in case you were wondering...