I did something tonight that I haven't done in quite a while. And I didn't even realize that I hadn't done it until I actually made the decision to do it. I decided to buy a book just for me. Gasp!
You see, I view books as both necessities and luxuries. I love my books. I have a hard time getting rid of books. When I was in college, I would throw away clothes so as not to have to pack and unpack them in my semi-yearly moves from the dorm but I would continue to collect more and more books. I still have most of them. Some are packed away in boxes because I have yet to realize my dream of having a library room in my house. One day I will have my semi-dark room with tall espresso colored wood bookshelves complete with sliding ladder so as to access those faraway books.
But back to this evening. I met my big human at my favorite shopping center for what has become our Friday Evening Date When We Don't Have The Small Humans. We went to my favorite restaurant and had my favorite stromboli and then we walked a bit and ended up in Barnes and Noble. I did a bit of poking and ended up with Eat Pray Love in my hands. I started this book last year when it first came out, before it was a fashionable read simply because Oprah said to read it. For some inexplicable reason, I didn't finish it. But tonight it caught my eye and I decided to buy it. This was quite out of the ordinary for me. I have no problem buying books for the small humans, in fact I probably buy too many. And we, as in the big human and I, buy lots of get smarter books. But I have not bought a book just for me and actually paid for it with my money rather than a giftcard in quite some time. It felt delightfully wicked. And something that I realized I must do more of. So I have decided that perhaps once a month, I will buy a book just for me.
Anyways, I must get back to Liz and her discovery of God. She's quite delightful and charming, isn't she?
Friday, September 28, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
See what's next...
That's what my title means in case you were wondering...
2 comments:
i read it a while ago and loved it. it was soooo good. some books you read fast because you can't wait to find out what happens, and others you read slowly and enjoy the language and the whole expereince. this one is definitely the latter. enjoy!
You sound just as in love with books as I am! I have not read "Eat, Pray, Love" ... not even heard much about it ... but having read several of your posts about it, I have decided it will be my next purchase. Because, as you say, purchasing a book for yourself (especially one that must be slowly read and savored, as Erin mentioned) is a "delightfully wicked" necessity at times. :)
Post a Comment