Wednesday, October 17, 2007

She turns my unintelligable thoughts into things that make sense

This is why I am loving "Eat, Pray, Love". So far, I have come across so many bits in the book where it feels as though she has crawled inside my head listened to my inner dialogue and then wrote about it. Here's a great example:

"I think you have every right to cherry-pick when it comes to moving your spirit and finding peace in God. I think you are free to search for any metaphor which will take you across the worldly divide whenever you need to be transported or comforted."

This thought or idea is why when I find the need or desire to go to church, I go to mass. I was raised Adventist and I am sure on some level, it breaks my mother's heart that I no longer consider myself an adventist and that when I attend church it is in the presence of the anti-christ.(see that part's a joke because my whole life I was taught that the pope is the anti-christ and catholics are evil and I have discovered that they are some of the nicest people I have ever met.) There is something so soothing and calming about the ritual of mass. I love the fact that with a few minor exceptions, no matter where I go to mass, it is basically the same thing every time. The priest says the same thing to us and we say the same thing back to him. Sometimes there are bells or incense or no kneelers or jam bands singing "Alleluia" but the priest always says the same thing. It gives me peace. And that is why I will convert eventually one day. They don't make it easy. It's pretty time consuming and I haven't been able to devote that much time yet. I started it a couple of years ago and I made it almost half-way through. But then I started a new job and my work schedule conflicted with one of the weekly night meetings. So I had to stop. But I will finish one day soon.

But back to the book. I can't stop gushing about it. Oh and I love it so much that I am reading it extra slow so that I can savor it.

1 comment:

m said...

i love mass, too.

See what's next...

That's what my title means in case you were wondering...