Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I have a lot of words in my head lately

I've got this overwhelming urge to blog these past few days. Not sure where it's coming from but I'll go with it.

So there are a lot of good things about Facebook. You can keep up with your friends, show off your kids, make witty comments, all sorts of good things. But there are times when Facebook leaves me feeling sad and weepy. Like the last couple of days. One of my college friends got married this past weekend. We were good college friends, you know like close at college but it didn't last once I moved back home. We've spoken only a couple of times in the past 8 years so it's no surprise that I didn't get an invite. In fact, I'm not sure what I would have done if I would have actually gotten one. Taking trips right now pretty much require an act of Congress.

At any rate, it still makes me sad to look at those pictures and see all these people together that were my friends at one point in my life and to have the understanding that I don't know them any more. And they probably don't know me. Except for maybe a few that might read my blog and follow my tweets. My life today looks nothing like theirs. We don't match socially. I'm a mom. A Catholic mom. To tweens and teens. They are maybe parents to babies but most of them are not even married. And they are still Adventist for the most part. And I guess the part that is really difficult to address is the fact that we didn't match then. It's probably why I always felt like I was on the outside watching them be friends. And I was the person that was sometimes tolerated. Whew. I'll need to process that some more.

Here's a scene from my evening:

Lauri is sitting at the kitchen table addressing Mother's Day Cards. Her Big Human is standing nearby taking a break from being the Smallest Human's sleeping buddy. Lauri hears the small voice coming from behind the closed door "DAAAAAADDDDDYYYYY!" She looks at her Big Human and says "He's calling for you." to which he responds, "No I think he's calling you." So Lauri gets up from the table and walks toward the closed door. Then she hears "L-A-U-R-I come here please!" She opens the door laughing and is greeted with a small face with toilet paper in a U-shape shoved in two nostrils accompanied by a big grin. "Take a picture of me Lauri! I'm a bull!" "No more pictures tonight! It's time for sleep!" Lauri shuts the door to hide the laughter and heads back to the kitchen wondering where the toilet paper came from...

1 comment:

m said...

i like that you have a lot of words in your head lately. especially at 4am my time when i am suddenly wide awake!

i know exactly how you feel about the facebook/old friends/different lives thing.

a bull! that's funny :)

See what's next...

That's what my title means in case you were wondering...