Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wow, ADD much?

I didn't spend much time on the internet this weekend since my small humans were home and we were busy doing nothing and everything. So it was nice to log on tonight and find comments from my web friend, I Hope So, on some of my blogs! My dearest I Hope So, I must say that it is nice to get comments from you and even though we are technically only friends in cyberspace which feels totally wierd to me but I justify it because we know a lot of the same people and I'm sure we'll meet IRL(ugh did I just type that?) one day, it still feels like you are a real friend. Which I guess is how some people can meet their soulmate online or through one of those websites or whatever. I guess I shouldn't be so judgemental.

Anyways, I digress. I have a couple of topics to accomplish. First, my birthday trip to NYC. So here we are in Times Square shortly after our arrival.

There are more pics on my facebook so you can go there to see them all. We had such a wonderful trip. The most enjoyable part of the trip was just being with each other. It has been such a long time since we were able to have those long meandering conversations that don't have noticable starts or stops and we can have long pauses for thoughts. The past couple of years when we are all together, it is usually centered around events and involve our husbands and children. We had a great hotel room in Times Square. We went down to the West Village and went to Magnolia Bakery which was featured in SATC and then we went to Perry St. and found the front of Carrie's apartment. We rode on the Staten Island Ferry and went to Zabar's. We went to dinner at Lips which I highly recommend if you are ever in NYC for a special event like a birthday or bachelorette party. Those queens are hilarious! It was a short trip but just what we needed to reconnect.

O.K. on to the second topic. Politics. I am enjoying this election season immensely because it has opened up a new realm in my relationship with my big human and also our oldest small human. He's 13 and taking an advanced civics class this fall and his teacher is really pushing them to think and examine and grow and learn. They are reading the Audacity of Hope (which I haven't read yet but it's on my list) and my formerly staunch republican child has admitted that if he were able to vote in this election, he would be voting for Obama. Which makes me want to do cartwheels but I am trying to remain impassive and not push my ideals on him because I would rather that he grow and reach his own conclusions on issues. I am also deeply enjoying discussing politics and the current financial crisis with my big human. Over dinner tonight, my big human pointed out how difficult it is to be a catholic with regard to the respect for life issue and the two main political parties. If you are a catholic and a democrat, then you agree with no death penalty but disagree with the right to choose. If you are a catholic and a republican, then you agree with the right to life but disagree with the death penalty. I love having thought-provoking conversations with my big human rather than the typical kids/money/who needs to do the dishes discussions.

O.K. third topic and this one will be short. Whenever I see Tina Fey on SNL, I wish that McCain/Palin would win so that I could watch the comedy every week. But then I come to my senses when I read news stories such as the one I found on late Friday morning/Friday afternoon that announced that Palin didn't know that her campaign had made the decision to leave Michigan until Friday morning. Ummmm, can she not read google news like the rest of us? Instead of reading every magazine and newspaper?

No comments:

See what's next...

That's what my title means in case you were wondering...