Sunday, August 24, 2008

I've got no strings to hold me down

We officially have no more training wheels in the house. The smallest human learned to ride on two wheels this weekend. I have to admit, I'm pretty sad. Well, I'm happy for him because it is a big accomplishment and he is very proud of himself. But we've hit a lot of milestones this spring and summer and we are almost a house of all big humans. Or at least big-acting humans.

Earlier in the spring, the smallest girl human learned to ride with two wheels. And then a few weeks ago, the smallest boy human passed the swimming test at our local city pool which means he can be in the pool without a big human AND he can go down the water slide. Now add in the two wheel bike riding and I am a mess of emotions! I also noticed when I was brushing the older small girl human's hair this morning that she is as tall as me or taller. I couldn't bring myself to measure her.

I'm having a tough time lately accepting that we will not have any more small humans to parent. I feel like I am just getting the hang of it and hitting my stride and soon, we won't be needed. I wonder how I can make peace with this urge to procreate and put it to rest without actually doing it? I need to read some more of The Power of Now so that I can enjoy the moments we have right now rather than mourning the ones that will never be. It is nice to have more self-sufficent humans around. They don't need constant supervision. They can entertain themselves for longer periods of time. You can take them out in public with relative ease. Going back to diapers, naps, teething, binkies, incessant crying and taking an hour to get out of the house is no fun, right?

Right?

1 comment:

michelle said...

i understand how you feel...I don't want a baby either...right??

See what's next...

That's what my title means in case you were wondering...