Monday, May 7, 2007

Midnight photo shoot


I left work on Friday afternoon and headed north. I was going to help my friends. They have a new baby and it is a big adjustment. They haven't slept much. And we all know what happens when you don't get any sleep.
My original intent was to go and do some cleaning and cook some stuff to put in the freezer. I didn't think that I would be much help with the baby because she needs momma milk. But it turned out that as long as I brought her to her momma every two hours so she could feed, I could help out immensely by keeping her quiet so that her parents could sleep.
It was a good thing that I had a cup of coffee on my drive up because I ended up pulling the late late shift on Friday night. The baby is a little confused about when she is supposed to sleep. So the momma went upstairs about 9 PM to get some sleep and the dad followed about 10 PM to take a shower and get some sleep. The baby ate at 11 PM and then we settled in downstairs to be quiet so her parents could sleep. We did a photo shoot about midnight because she was wide awake and then she settled down until about 1:30 AM at which point she ate again and then we went back downstairs for the next two hours. She slept through most of that which meant that I did as well and then I took her up at 4 AM and gave her back to her momma so that I could sleep a little bit.
Anyone that thinks having a baby looks like a lot of fun needs to experience what I have over the past week. It's like one of those Scared Straight programs.
Babies are a lot of work.

1 comment:

The Witty Mulatto said...

Cool blog.

Babies are no joke. Last time I watched one, he clawed the neck of my shirt down in front of a dozen people because he thought I was going to nurse him.

See what's next...

That's what my title means in case you were wondering...